Monday, October 21, 2013

SmartMoves

Well I haven't blogged in awhile. Why you ask? The answer is simple...TESTING. Yes, we just gave regional tests, but now we are giving benchmark tests for our reading series. It seems to be all I do. It's a very frustrating part of the job, simply because I feel like now we do less teaching and more testing. Does that even make sense? 

Okay...enough with my rant! :) 

During testing I use SmartMoves to give students quick breaks that still maintain focus. If you're not familiar with the program it is on the SmartBoard and there are motions that students follow while calming music plays. There are colored lights that the students need to follow with their hands and then the lights become people doing the movement as well. There are multiple levels to it. The higher levels are pretty tricky! (Trust me-I tried them!) The simple level is more manageable and easier to follow. Some of the movements are making circles with your arms/hands, making a figure-8 pattern, and moving one hand one way and the other the opposite way.) SmartMoves helps create the link between the right brain and the left brain, so they work together.  The movements also hep strengthen muscles (the shoulder muscles) to improve motor skills, such as writing. It is a really helpful tool. 

I also like to use it for transition times, getting the "wiggles" out, movement breaks, and a practice in focusing. It's something worth looking into in  our world of testing. And YES-the students LOVE it.

I will post pictures of the students doing it soon! :)

-The Classy Teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment